Monday, August 29, 2011

Elementary School Poetry 180 - Week Two

Here are the five poems I read last week:
I still have a student who says, "That was short" when I finish reading a poem. All of these fit on a single page except for "Numbers". There was some discussion of the last stanza of that one, a bit of confusion about what to make of "three boys", "two Italians", and "one sock".

I think I'm going to drop "Ozymandias". While I like it, and it's fun to read aloud, I think it's too heady for ten-year-olds. They just don't know what to make of it.

2 comments:

  1. There are many adults who would find Ozymandias too heady, let alone ten-year-olds. My favourite of this group is, of course, Koertge's Advice. I, too, follow his turtleneck rule. Who wouldn't?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monica, I agree. Ozymandias has to go. I'm glad you liked Koertge's poem.

    Richard

    ReplyDelete