Monday, December 11, 2006

No Child Left Behind (NCLB)

No Child Left Behind is coming up for reauthorization in 2007. I encourage you to go to this website: A Petition Calling for the Dismantling of the No Child Left Behind Act. It has some information on why it's a bad law. Even if you choose not to sign the petition, which is open to all U.S. citizens, please read the information so that you can be informed about some of the problems wrong with this legislation.

Basically, each state sets its own standards for curriculum, what is taught in schools at various grades, and the criteria for becoming a teacher. NCLB is an attempt to standardize that for all fifty states. It has functioned poorly. In my opinion, it has been disastrous for public education in this country. There are many problems with public education, to be sure, but NCLB is not the solution. I encourage you to sign the petition. Thank you.

2 comments:

  1. Heyyyyy, Teacherguy! Today is my 37th birthday, and as a treat I took the day off. Here I am trolling blogs (one of my fave things to do) and I check out your blog. And what do I see but a link to my new blog. I am so touched. Sniff. I am really trying to get it going and do a good job of it, and I am so touched that you did that. Thanks so much! Happy Birthday to me, and great blog! I will check it out often, and I will add a link from mine, if you want me to. Please drop me a quick work at tracy.williams@ns.sympatico.ca, and I will do!

    PS: men who cook are too cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tracy, thanks for the awesome comments. Happy belated birthday! I really like your blog, otherwise I wouldn't have put a link to it from mine. A link from yours to mine would be great, whenever you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete