Friday, July 22, 2011

Poem

Logic is just one river
that empties into the Sea of Thought.

It flows, a path of nature,
as true as the river of Instinct
and much more so than Emotion,
that twisted tributary
feeding into Whim,
as so many others do,
and drink from as well.

But Logic is clear and cool,
not muddied like Fantasy
by all the unicorns and centaurs
galloping along its banks,
a world all its own
and yet just part of ours.

And Logic flows calmly,
no buzz of mosquitoes
in your ears
from stagnant ponds
looking for blood.

I don't understand
why some resist,
just refusing to drink
from this wondrous river.

Or why those who do drink
are not quenched of their thirst.
Maybe it's the lack of taste.

Then my eyes fluttered open,
and I realized I'd been floating down Dream.

/ / /

This poem was written in response to Wordle 12 at The Sunday Whirl.

I have failed utterly (so far) to write a poem to Wordle 11, which is part of the delay in getting this one posted.

4 comments:

  1. Perhaps your energy was required in double dose to create this good piece. Your use of line and stanza breaks create parameters that strengthen the message. Capitalization, sparse and decisively applied, provides emphasis and a sense of theme. I would have enjoyed this piece just as much without the last line, but of course the wordle places demands. Fabulous poem!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, thank you so much for your kind and thoughtful words. I appreciate your comment about that last line. I agree. It's not necessary. Maybe I can fit "fluttered" in somewhere else. Thanks again.

    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do think some people are not ruled by logic, but by emotion. Sometimes unfortunately the two do NOT go hand in hand. I am glad you are keeping up with these wordles. I do look forward to the words every Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary, I agree. There are a lot of people who are not in touch with logic at all. I'm trying to keep up with the wordles - and my two sons, who are running me ragged this summer. But I did manage to work on two poems today. I look forward to them too; I'm so glad that Brenda is posting them for us.

    Richard

    ReplyDelete