Thursday, April 14, 2011

Wordle Prompt

they may look like hovels
to you - but they are in fact
homes - rundown, yes

but clean - you will find no cobwebs
here - the outside may be gloomy
but inside - dandelion yellow

she'll invite you in and try
to feed you - she may be slow
on her feeble leg

but watch her scrambling eggs
with bits of chopped vegetables
and cold rice over the wood

stove burning limbs of ash
listen to her corrugated laugh
rising and falling

she will hum and smile
offering you a plate
food is love

and love is crucial
but give her no looks
and no words of pity

* * * * *

This poem was written in response to the wordle prompt by Brenda at Beyond the Bozone.

10 comments:

  1. Yeah, I like what you did with these words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Walker this reminds me of many homes I have visited here in Mexico.
    The poorest are the most humble and the proudest, too. Excellent wordled words.

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfection! I once did a home-visit expecting to find the usual filth and roaches that I'd seen in many of the inner city home, but the place was immaculate. I felt ashamed of my initial assumption.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stan and SweetTalkingGuy, thank you both for stopping by and commenting.

    Pamela, I'm always amazed how adversity can bring out the best in people. Thanks for the kind words.

    Gloria, thank you for your thoughtful comment. It's like don't judge a book by its cover. We all have made assumptions like that; I know I have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! You are on a roll! This scene and woman are so clear in my head. Great poem!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mr. Walker, This is awesome! Your piece is positive against its humility. "She" comes alive. Beautiful work with the wordle. I'm impressed.
    ~Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Judy, thank you. I'm feeling very positive about my writing lately. I hope I can sustain that.

    Brenda, thank you. Keep those wordle prompts coming; they inspire me. I'm glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. a different kind of sunshine

    ReplyDelete
  9. lucychili, yes, there's sunshine outside and sunshine inside. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete